An exploration in updating a poor user experience within the Pioneer Press news app. I uncovered and defined the glaring issues up front. This experiment was to see how I can achieve a quick win without doing a heavy overhaul. The main issues I focused on were:
- A lot of information with little hierarchy
- Advertising creates a cumbersome and invasive experience
- Navigation is not consistent
- Swiping can take user to an unknown space
Once the problems were defined, I laid out goals to achieve when exploring ways to improve the experience. That way, when working, I have a central place to refer back to and make sure I’m on the right track.
- Easy to use
- Central place for browsing
- Non invasive advertising
- Clear hierarchy for easy browsing and reading
- Clean interface with easy transitions
When the design and ideation was completed, I created a walkthrough document that called out the updated functionality in the new design. This allows a client to sign off on functional changes with explanation around what is going on. A document like this is also beneficial for developers and other internal stakeholders to have background insight on why a change is being made. I find this approach beneficial as I want to make sure there is no miscommunication and confusion as the concepts are getting handed around.